Recipe Courtesy of F&P Blog 'Our Kitchen' via 'Feijoa Feijoa' Blog
- 1 cup feijoas, peeled and diced
- 150g dates, chopped
- 100g crystallised ginger, chopped (alternatively Stem Ginger can be used)
- 250mls boiling water
- 150g brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 270g flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C on bake and grease a loaf tin.
2. Place the feijoa, dates, ginger, water, butter and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking powder and soda and add to the fruit mixture once cooled along with the egg and vanilla. Do not over mix (this mixture is quite thick).
4. Spoon the mixture into the greased tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
This Loaf is predominantly date and ginger flavoured with feijoa undertones so you may well find a non feijoa lover will eat it! Wrapped well this loaf should freeze successfully.